Search This Blog

Sunday, May 28, 2017

13 Reasons Why

By Jay Asher 

     This book is not for the faint of heart.  This is a heart wrenching story, please be forewarned, this is not for children, The nature of the book requires a certain level of maturity therefore I strongly discourage anyone reading this book before they reach high school.  I do feel, however, that this story needs to be told and could be thought provoking and earth shattering.  
     First let me explain why I read the book and watched the series on Netflix.  I was encouraged by some young people that I needed to read this, since I am always looking for something to read plus  I had heard some rumblings about this book, I knew I had to find out what the hoopla was about.  Needless to say I was surprised by both the book and the series.  
     This is a story about a beautiful young woman, with loving parents that decides to commit suicide, which is horrible enough, but instead of a letter she makes 13 audio tapes explaining her reasons for terminating her life.  What we read is the first person narrative of Clay as he listens to the tapes and comes to terms with Hannah's suicide.  Clay had very strong feelings for Hannah but was afraid to step froward and proclaim his love.  What he discovers is that Hannah was mistreated, rumored about and hated for no real reason.  Every time something happens, it further weighs on her until she is stifled under its weight and finally wants to end the pain.  She calls for help from the school counselor and he basically tells her to move on, there were other warning signs but no one was paying any attention to stop the unthinkable.  
     Normally, I would give a brief summary of a book, but I think that part of the unknown nature of when and what happens is what makes this book a page turner.  I had a hard time putting it down.  One of the hardest parts for me was the changing voice of the book, it flowed quickly from Clay's perception to Hannah's perception.  That ebb and flow made it difficult to read at times.  I am giving this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars, I am marking it down for the mature nature of the book and the rapid change of point of view.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and believe it will transcend generations, excellent for opening discussion among teens on depression, suicide and bullying.  Really opens ones eyes as to how the smallest act can change somebody's world.  Remember to be wonderful to others.  

Links





No comments:

Post a Comment